I attempted to use only two instruments on this EP and I failed. The two primary instruments were the Ondes Martenot and the Korg MS-20. I failed as I also felt like including a short draft of something I played live in a recent live stream that people really enjoyed and that was composed on my iPad, so... Three instruments! I wanted to do something really HiFi and in wide stereo, and this is what came out of that.
Anyway, I set the MS-20 up a few days ago on my desk and started playing with it and I really reconnected with it. It is a very old one and is a bit dusty and beat up but sounds amazing. As it all came together, I thought that I should attempt to add the other instrument that drove me wild all those years back, which is the Martenot. The two work beautifully together, winding their analogue tendrils around one another.
1. 'Outrun This...' was composed entirely on the Ondes Martenot.
2. 'When the Clouds Drop Out' was mostly the MS-20 through very long delays (10-25sec) and the Martenot appears as the simple, distorted lead melody.
3. 'Volte-face' is pure MS-20, post delay as it slowly loses its fidelity.
4. 'Two Whatevers' is mainly layered MS-20 with a short burst of Martenot spun throughout.
5. 'In Jungles' was made for a recent live stream concert on my iPad in the brilliant 'Borderlands' app. The original sounds were my old Fender Rhodes. It seemed like a nice fit alongside all of these other noises...
The cover is of the two featured instruments in my back garden, shot right after mastering the EP, 05/09/20.
supported by 5 fans who also own “The Silent Disappearing Act”
Jogging House is one of the most consistent in the electronic game. Every release is something special and this may very well be my favorite to date. There's never a wrong time to put it on and play it all the way through. Gerald Fjord